Baptism is the first step of initiation into the Church, the Kingdom of God on earth. We welcome all non-baptized persons to seriously consider this initiation Rite into the Faith of the Church.
- Unbaptized adults over 18 need to complete the RCIA formation classes before receiving Baptism.
- For infants, it is required that there be a reasonable hope that the parents or parent will bring the child up in the Catholic faith.
- A candidate for Baptism must have at least one sponsor or godparent.
- The godparent/sponsor cannot be the mother or father of the one to be baptized.
- The godparent/sponsor must be at least 16, be a practicing Catholic who has been confirmed, and has received the Eucharist.
- There can be two godparents, one man and one woman.
- Non-Catholics cannot be godparents, but can be admitted as a witness to the Baptism.
Please refer to the following links:
Sacraments 101: Baptism
Sophia SketchPad: Baptism
If you or a family member would like to be baptized, please call the parish office at (269) 857-7951 or email Marianne.