"The pastoral mission of St. Peter Parish is the mission of Jesus. As people of God, we create a community of Faith by proclaiming and teaching God's Word, celebrating the Sacred Mysteries and serving people: the Ministry of Word, Worship and Service. The goals of our parish community are based upon this pastoral mission."
In 1894, Bishop John Foley of Detroit ordered that a mission church be established in the Douglas/Saugatuck area to be served by Fr. Peter Esper who chose the name of his patron saint for the newly established mission.
On June 4, 1938, St. Peter was established as a parish, and Fr. Raymond Sweeney was appointed as its first permanent pastor by Bishop Joseph Pinten of Grand Rapids. The Durham House, located at Chestnut and Washington Streets in Douglas, was remodeled into a church. The parish consisted of about 60 families.
In 1949, a two-story building at Center and Spring Streets in Douglas was purchased and remodeled into a school and convent. St. Peter School opened in September of 1951 with six grades in two rooms with about 90 students. By 1954, there were eight grades, four rooms and 146 students.
In November 1954, a beautiful, large knoll- 27 acres overlooking Kalamazoo Lake was purchased. Cost was estimated at $200,000.00, half to be collected before construction, the remainder to be financed. The cornerstone was laid on June 29, 1957. On June 29 of that year, the Most Reverend Alan J. Babcock, DD, Bishop of Grand Rapids, officiated at the blessing of the new Church.
Work on the school building began in July 1967 and was completed in August 1968. With the help of the Dominican Sisters the Catholic school served the community for five years.
The Augustinians were asked to accept care of St. Peter Parish, and on December 1, 1986, Fr. John Flynn, OSA was appointed the new administrator.
It was Fr. Fred Taggart who authored the Mission Statement for the Parish: The pastoral mission of St. Peter is the mission of Jesus. As people of God, we create a Community of Faith by proclaiming and teaching God’s Word, celebrating the Sacred Mysteries and serving people: the Ministry of Word, Worship and Service. The Goals of our Parish Community are based upon this pastoral mission.
Four rooms of the school building are utilized by Christian Neighbors a community service program. Parishioners for St. Peter along with area churches participate, providing clothing, food and other assistance to those in need.
The Following priests served as pastor of St. Peter Parish
Fr. Raymond Sweeney (1938-1940)
Fr. Charles Nugent (1940-1952)
Fr. William Hoogterp (1952-1963)
Fr. Edwin Plewka (1963-1965)
Fr. Edward Orlowski (1965-1967)
Fr. Leo Rosloniec (1967-1970)
Fr. Steven Kolenic (1970-1978)
Fr. Donald Klingler (1978-1986)
Fr. Greogory Moore, OP (1986 as temporary administrator)
Fr. David Klotz, OSA (1986 temporary administrator)
Fr. John Flynn, OSA (1986-1987, administrator)
Fr. Frederick Taggart, OSA (1987-1989)
Fr. Edward Andrews, OSA (1989-1991)
Fr. John Flynn, OSA (1991-1995)
Fr. Edward Hamel, OSA (1995-1998)
Fr. Ronald Turich, OSA (1998-2008)
Fr. Timothy Cuny, OSA (2008-2013)
Fr. Fabio Garzon (2013 - 2015)
Fr. Stanley Witek(2015 -2016)
Fr. Fabio Garzon (2016 - present)